Helmet-Mounted Sights: Implications for BFM

Discuss air warfare, doctrine, air forces, historic campaigns, etc.

by phantomfan » 18 Nov 2011, 21:56

I am sure a lot of the members of this forum are familiar with Robert Shaw's seminal work, "Fighter Combat Tactics and Maneuvering."

I am interested how much of the fighter tactics (both defensive and offensive BFM) mentioned in the book has changed these days with the advent of helment-mounted sights and off-boresight short range missiles.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by saberrider » 10 Oct 2016, 18:05

phantomfan wrote:I am sure a lot of the members of this forum are familiar with Robert Shaw's seminal work, "Fighter Combat Tactics and Maneuvering."

I am interested how much of the fighter tactics (both defensive and offensive BFM) mentioned in the book has changed these days with the advent of helment-mounted sights and off-boresight short range missiles.

Jamming pod's are more important now,decoys deploy(chaffs/flares) escape window it's narrow,speed is life, and pray for a malfunction of the missile's and all these combined are ACM

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by basher54321 » 10 Oct 2016, 19:24

Good book - recommended read despite its age.

How things have changed more relate to the vast improvement in computing power and solid state reliability allowing technology and tactics that were not possible back then. The book might not cover HMS or off boresight missiles (IIRC) even though in 1985 the R-73 was coming in with a basic HMS (AGM-95 had been cancelled in the 70s ) - the USN flew with a Helmet mounted system ( VTAS ) in the 70s - so the idea was there and being put into practise back then.

I cant even begin to cover it though - so many posts on this in the F-35 forums