F-15X: USAF Seems Interested

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 3898
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post04 Feb 2020, 14:06

Wow, so they're going with the GE engines. I wonder which ones... probably with around 29,000lbs of thrust each, which will be more powerful than the Pratt F-100's in C's, currently rated at 23,500lbs with reheat if I'm not mistaken.

Hopefully, a higher thrust to weight ratio is in the cards. Not that it's any slouch now...
Offline

marauder2048

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 906
  • Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 06:46

Unread post05 Feb 2020, 05:59

marsavian wrote:
I personally hate buying old 4th gen airframe in 2020s.


I suspect that in the end these F-15EX will replace the current F-15E in the fighter-bomber squadrons and be eventually replaced completely by F-35 in the ANG. Would these F-15EX have been replaced by equivalent numbers of F-35 in the current budget if not ordered ?


Funnily enough, the plan was actually in the F-22 Restart Study.
You would have seen the start of procurement of replacement wings and longerons for the entire F-15C/D
fleet starting at $250 million in FY20 with $1.6 billion required for entire fleet.

Even if you add EPAWSS to C/D fleet at $10 million/pop (it's not part of F-15EX btw)
the billions in savings over the next five years would have been useful just about anywhere else in
the AF budget.
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6571
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post05 Feb 2020, 06:45

Future US Defense Budgets are looking tighter and tighter by the day. So, odds don't favor it's long term survival...


My guess is the ones they do acquire. Will likely be passed on to existing F-15E Strike Fighter Squadrons.
Offline

weasel1962

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2182
  • Joined: 07 Jun 2012, 02:41
  • Location: Singapore

Unread post05 Feb 2020, 07:49

Work seems to be preparing Kadena and Lakenheath for F-35A basing so looks like the F-15C sqns there would be replaced by the F-35As. Other than 44, 67 and 493 FS, the only other C sqns are the 6 ANG F-15C FS. 144 F-15EX, if that’s the eventual program on record, is equivalent to 6 sqns.

Considering that the F-15Es are on average 8 years younger than the F-15Cs, add up to 32,000 hour airframe life double that of the F-15C/Ds, factor in the expected delivery timing of the F-15EX, the F-15Es are more likely to be replaced by the PCA into the 2040s.
Offline

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 3535
  • Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 15:22

Unread post05 Feb 2020, 08:46

marauder2048 wrote:




Even if you add EPAWSS to C/D fleet at $10 million/pop (it's not part of F-15EX btw)

EPAWSS is absolutely part of the F-15EX equipment.
Offline

marauder2048

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 906
  • Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 06:46

Unread post05 Feb 2020, 09:32

wrightwing wrote:
marauder2048 wrote:




Even if you add EPAWSS to C/D fleet at $10 million/pop (it's not part of F-15EX btw)

EPAWSS is absolutely part of the F-15EX equipment.


Per Inside Defense, it's being considered as a future capability upgrade.
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6571
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post05 Feb 2020, 10:57

weasel1962 wrote:Work seems to be preparing Kadena and Lakenheath for F-35A basing so looks like the F-15C sqns there would be replaced by the F-35As. Other than 44, 67 and 493 FS, the only other C sqns are the 6 ANG F-15C FS. 144 F-15EX, if that’s the eventual program on record, is equivalent to 6 sqns.

Considering that the F-15Es are on average 8 years younger than the F-15Cs, add up to 32,000 hour airframe life double that of the F-15C/Ds, factor in the expected delivery timing of the F-15EX, the F-15Es are more likely to be replaced by the PCA into the 2040s.


As I said future Defense Budgets are going to become tighter and tighter. Plus, some states like Florida have been actively pursuing the F-35A. As a matter of fact Florida has been pushing for the F-35A to replace it's F-15C operated by the Florida ANG. (Jacksonville) While, ignoring the F-15EX altogether....
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6571
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post05 Feb 2020, 11:13

Actually, the F-15E's are more likely to be replaced by additional F-35's post 2030.....


:2c:
Offline
User avatar

marsavian

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1723
  • Joined: 02 Feb 2018, 21:55

Unread post05 Feb 2020, 12:32

marauder2048 wrote:
wrightwing wrote:
marauder2048 wrote:
Even if you add EPAWSS to C/D fleet at $10 million/pop (it's not part of F-15EX btw)


EPAWSS is absolutely part of the F-15EX equipment.


Per Inside Defense, it's being considered as a future capability upgrade.


Are not the first two F-15EX being delivered part of the EPAWSS testing program ?
Offline

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 3535
  • Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 15:22

Unread post05 Feb 2020, 20:22

marauder2048 wrote:
wrightwing wrote:
marauder2048 wrote:




Even if you add EPAWSS to C/D fleet at $10 million/pop (it's not part of F-15EX btw)

EPAWSS is absolutely part of the F-15EX equipment.


Per Inside Defense, it's being considered as a future capability upgrade.

Per Boeing-
https://www.boeing.com/defense/f-15ex/
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6571
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post06 Feb 2020, 03:36

wrightwing wrote:
Per Boeing-
https://www.boeing.com/defense/f-15ex/


Likely, trying to low ball the price of the F-15EX as much a possible! :?
Offline

marauder2048

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 906
  • Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 06:46

Unread post06 Feb 2020, 07:50

wrightwing wrote:https://www.boeing.com/defense/f-15ex/


It's fine for them to say that but Congress cut funds for the EPAWSS program for the -E (!) model
because of the F-15EX. That was in the midst of an EPAWSS Nunn-McCurdy breach rebaselining.
So F-15EX quantities are likely to land in the overall program where they buy the kits but defer the install.
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6571
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post06 Feb 2020, 08:23

marauder2048 wrote:
wrightwing wrote:https://www.boeing.com/defense/f-15ex/


It's fine for them to say that but Congress cut funds for the EPAWSS program for the -E (!) model
because of the F-15EX. That was in the midst of an EPAWSS Nunn-McCurdy breach rebaselining.
So F-15EX quantities are likely to land in the overall program where they buy the kits but defer the install.



Didn't they cut the EPAWSS in the F-15C upgrade. While, still including it for F-15E???
Last edited by Corsair1963 on 06 Feb 2020, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
Offline

marauder2048

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 906
  • Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 06:46

Unread post06 Feb 2020, 08:49

The Air Force eliminated funding for EPAWSS for the F-15C but was according to GAO trying to restore it.
It wasn't in the FY20 budget; only funding for the -E...which Congress cut (not eliminated).
Offline

weasel1962

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2182
  • Joined: 07 Jun 2012, 02:41
  • Location: Singapore

Unread post06 Feb 2020, 10:37

Funding appears to be in FY 2020 budget per SAR.

https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Docu ... c_2018.pdf

Just checked the PB, yup $57m for FY 2019 but nada thereafter for C. EPAWSS funding however continues for the E. If the EX is going to replace the Cs, makes sense not upgrading it anymore.
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Military Aircraft

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: disconnectedradical and 20 guests