UK next gen fighter

Conceptualized class of jet fighter aircraft designs that are expected to enter service in the 2030s.
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by zerion » 26 Jun 2018, 00:34

Excluded from cooperative plans in Europe, UK sets groundwork for future fighters

LONDON ― Expectations are growing among industry executives and analysts that the British government will use a huge gathering of international air force chiefs in the U.K. in mid-July to outline a strategy leading to development of a new generation of fighter jets for the post-2040 era.

Left out in the cold by a joint Franco-German plan to develop a new fighter, Ministry of Defence officials ― supported by industry ― have been working for months on a combat air strategy to sustain Britain’s capabilities beyond the Eurofighter Typhoon, and they are determined to figure out a way forward this summer.

With more than 50 air force chiefs from around the world expected to attend the Royal International Air Tattoo at Fairford, southern England, as part of the Royal Air Force’s centenary celebrations, it is likely the British will use the event to kick-start plans to develop an eventual replacement for the Typhoons, which form the backbone of the country’s fighter fleet...

“I do get the impression they will go for something big in the way of an announcement. It could be something along the lines of ‘this is what we would like to do, and we want to do it with partners.’ In part it’s meant to be a bit of a shock to France and Germany,” Wheeldon said...

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-sho ... -fighters/

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by geforcerfx » 26 Jun 2018, 07:27

The UK is the type of ally that we can throw them into PCA if they want and the fighter fills there projected needs.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 26 Jun 2018, 07:35

I could see the UK and US partnering with a number of Asian Countries. To jointly develop a 6th Generation Fighter. With countries like Australia and Japan being high on the list. We could also see somebody like South Korea or even India join in.....think F-35 but an Asian Focus.

:2c:

Banned

by zero-one » 26 Jun 2018, 13:35

Corsair1963 wrote:I could see the UK and US partnering with a number of Asian Countries. To jointly develop a 6th Generation Fighter. With countries like Australia and Japan being high on the list. We could also see somebody like South Korea or even India join in.....think F-35 but an Asian Focus.

Since the common enemy is China, this is a good venture. Has China overtaken Russia as the top tier adversary already?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 26 Jun 2018, 17:09

I would like to see a UK /Japan /South Korea team up. They'd have all the bases covered.
"There I was. . ."

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by disconnectedradical » 26 Jun 2018, 17:14

sferrin wrote:I would like to see a UK /Japan /South Korea team up. They'd have all the bases covered.

Japan and South Korea teaming up though?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 26 Jun 2018, 18:36

disconnectedradical wrote:
sferrin wrote:I would like to see a UK /Japan /South Korea team up. They'd have all the bases covered.

Why not? They have a lot of common interests. I wish they'd try to settle their past grudges and move on.
"There I was. . ."

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by geforcerfx » 26 Jun 2018, 18:39

sferrin wrote:

Why not? They have a lot of common interests. I wish they'd try to settle their past grudges and move on.

They did a decent amount of mending ties last year with the Nork Nuke threat. I see there relationship like the USA's and Vietnam, it's getting better just needs time, China and Nork accelerated the progress over the last few years.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by disconnectedradical » 26 Jun 2018, 19:51

sferrin wrote:

Right now they're getting closer but is it close enough to team up on a project like this? I have some South Korean and Japanese friends and let's say the grudges between the two are deep rooted, don't know how much it will change in near future.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 27 Jun 2018, 00:33

JP-SK team up. Not going to happen.

If anyone has been to Korea, one'd still sees Dokdo adverts on their public transport. Whilst it may appears a win-win for both sides, the underlying politics would prevent any real or meaningful cooperation to enable a successful program. Each already have their own F-X programs. No real incentive to merge anytime.

by eagleowl » 27 Jun 2018, 01:11

And what would there be to 'merge' anyway? It's just going to be something like a work-share agreement for manufacturing. I'd rather be in (for military aviation) Dassault's current position as the sole developer of the Rafale than Airbus as a part of Eurofighter GmbH. (Or BAE as part of the JSF for that matter)

If technology sharing is what's needed then a well defined joint development programs with narrow scopes seem preferable. Like agree to develop Variable cycle engine technology cooperatively and improve any shortfalls in technology needed for a 6th generation fighter. Japan and the UK both have enough money to pay for fighter development without joining themselves at the hip.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 27 Jun 2018, 07:41

zero-one wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:I could see the UK and US partnering with a number of Asian Countries. To jointly develop a 6th Generation Fighter. With countries like Australia and Japan being high on the list. We could also see somebody like South Korea or even India join in.....think F-35 but an Asian Focus.

Since the common enemy is China, this is a good venture. Has China overtaken Russia as the top tier adversary already?

Easily.....

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 27 Jun 2018, 07:46

weasel1962 wrote:JP-SK team up. Not going to happen.

If anyone has been to Korea, one'd still sees Dokdo adverts on their public transport. Whilst it may appears a win-win for both sides, the underlying politics would prevent any real or meaningful cooperation to enable a successful program. Each already have their own F-X programs. No real incentive to merge anytime.

I agree considerable bad feelings still under the surface. Yet, things are slowly improving.....

Also, if the program is similar to the F-35. Then Japan and South Korea would be just partners in a broad sense. (among many) So, I wouldn't rule it out. Of course much likely depend on what happen with North Korea....

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by jakobs » 27 Jun 2018, 12:05

geforcerfx wrote:The UK is the type of ally that we can throw them into PCA if they want and the fighter fills there projected needs.

Not sure if they want to though. Firstly I'm getting the impressions that the PCA will be a much bigger plane and I'm not sure UK is looking in that same direction.

Secondly I would guess that UK don't want their next project to be attached to the US at all simply because of the much smaller role it gives them in the overall project. From whats coming out of London these days focus seems all about the future of their aviation industry.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 27 Jun 2018, 13:23

eagleowl wrote:And what would there be to 'merge' anyway? It's just going to be something like a work-share agreement for manufacturing. I'd rather be in (for military aviation) Dassault's current position as the sole developer of the Rafale than Airbus as a part of Eurofighter GmbH. (Or BAE as part of the JSF for that matter)

If technology sharing is what's needed then a well defined joint development programs with narrow scopes seem preferable. Like agree to develop Variable cycle engine technology cooperatively and improve any shortfalls in technology needed for a 6th generation fighter. Japan and the UK both have enough money to pay for fighter development without joining themselves at the hip.

And yet the US teamed with many nations on the F-35 despite the fact it could have done it all on it's own (see F-22). It's called "sharing the cost of development".
"There I was. . ."

Next