F-18E Downes Syrian Warplane

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
Banned

by arian » 23 Jun 2017, 00:37

Reportedly, this is the actual airplane involved. Photo is about 2 years old, however.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... 4150315135).jpg

VFA-87. This squadron has had AIM-9X since at least 2006, but as the photo above shows not all of them carry AIM-9X all the time. The photo above may be from a training mission (it's taken at their home base in Virginia, so maybe they don't carry AIM-9X in training flights).

Another interesting thing is that in almost all the photos of SHs operating in the ME, I only see 1 AIM-9 missile carried. No AIM-120s carried either. Maybe they have changed that in recent times, but can anyone find a picture of an SH in the recent Iraq/Syria conflict that carries more than 1 AIM-9?
Last edited by arian on 23 Jun 2017, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 23 Jun 2017, 00:45

VFA-87 Golden Warriors.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Banned

by arian » 23 Jun 2017, 00:51

This seems to be the typical load-out of almost every SH I've ever seen pictures of in Syria: 1 AIM-9X and that's it for air-to-air.

PS: I stand corrected. Here is 304 in Syria with 2 AIM-9X

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by smsgtmac » 23 Jun 2017, 02:04

:bang: THIS is why I hate idle speculation with insufficient facts:
http://www.news.com.au/technology/syria ... d20aeb5085
You KNOW the POS bottom-feeder who wrote this clickbait didn't think about this all on his own.

IF CNN got the story and quote right (and that's a mighty big IF) there's still no info on what version of the AIM 9 it was, no info on did the pilot have tone or no-tone, no info on was the shot taken to scare the target (for at least three possible good reasons off the top of my head) as a continued escalation 'reported' to have happened before the F-18 put an AMRAAM in him, no info on.....any effin' thing as to what to make of what was reported.

And now we have a 'journalist' making stories up about a singular F-18 FCS/unknown missile combination performance event as somehow being relevant to the entire future F-35/AIM-9X (or h*ll, an ASRAAM) combination.
Standby for the F-35 H8ers to start mirroring or echoing this pap in 3...2...1...
--The ultimate weapon is the mind of man.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 23 Jun 2017, 02:19

Last edited by popcorn on 23 Jun 2017, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by huggy » 23 Jun 2017, 02:41

I got to watch the videos today. Pretty interesting.

Banned

by arian » 23 Jun 2017, 04:14

smsgtmac wrote::bang: THIS is why I hate idle speculation with insufficient facts:
http://www.news.com.au/technology/syria ... d20aeb5085
You KNOW the POS bottom-feeder who wrote this clickbait didn't think about this all on his own.

IF CNN got the story and quote right (and that's a mighty big IF) there's still no info on what version of the AIM 9 it was, no info on did the pilot have tone or no-tone, no info on was the shot taken to scare the target (for at least three possible good reasons off the top of my head) as a continued escalation 'reported' to have happened before the F-18 put an AMRAAM in him, no info on.....any effin' thing as to what to make of what was reported.

And now we have a 'journalist' making stories up about a singular F-18 FCS/unknown missile combination performance event as somehow being relevant to the entire future F-35/AIM-9X (or h*ll, an ASRAAM) combination.
Standby for the F-35 H8ers to start mirroring or echoing this pap in 3...2...1...

Don't worry so much about it. No reason to get upset at an article that 3 people in total will read.

Banned

by zero-one » 23 Jun 2017, 13:50

It will be a very long time before we get any specifics on what happened and even then the "official story" may have a few twist in it already.

For now, we can agree that all publications about this story have a few common factors.
A Rhino engaged a Su-22 Fitter within 1 mile. 2 missiles were used, an Aim-9 and an Aim-120, the Aim-9 missed the Aim-120 didn't.

The Way I see it, we can keep making baseless excuses for why the Aim-9 missed (faulty hardware, it was just a warning shot, maybe it was an older M model, he had no tone, missile was not armed, etc etc.)

or

we can see that every single pilot is trained to deal with such a circumstance.

In today's network centric battlefield chances of getting to a Merge are slim, and even if you do get to a merge, the existence of advanced HOBS capable missiles will make dog fighting suicidal.
BUT
even if you do get to a merge, even if the wiz bang "game changing missiles" fail, these pilots still know exactly what to do to get the job done.

Banned

by zero-one » 23 Jun 2017, 13:56

Official statement by the Russians:
https://theaviationist.com/tag/su-22-fitter/
Statement of the Russian Defence Ministry concerning downing of the Syrian Su-22 near the town of Resafa

On June 18, 2017 the American fighter F-18A belonging to the international coalition shot down the Su-22 aircraft of the Syrian Air Force, which was performing a combat mission supporting the government troops, which were conducting the offensive against the ISIS terrorists near the town of Resafa (40 km to the south-west of the city of Raqqa).

As a result of the attack, the Syrian aircraft was destroyed. The pilot baled out over an ISIS-controlled area, his status is unknown.

The destruction of the aircraft of the Syrian Air Force by the American aviation in the air space of Syria – is a cynical violation of the sovereignty of the Syrian Arab Republic.

Numerous combat activities of the US aviation carried out under the cover of “fight against terrorism” aimed against the legitimate Armed Forces of a UN-member is a blatant breach of the international law and is in fact an act of military aggression against the Syrian Arab Republic.

Moreover, at that time the aircraft of the Russian Aerospace Forces were also performing combat missions in the air space of Syria. However, the Command of the coalition forces did not use the existing channels of communication between the Command of the Al Udeid Air Base (Qatar) and the Hmeymim Air Base Command to prevent air incidents in the air space of Syria.

The Russian party considers those actions of the US Command as an intentional failure to fulfill its obligations within the Memorandum on prevention of incidents and providing of flight security during the operations in Syria dated October 20, 2015.

Since June 19, 2017, the Russian Defence Ministry has stopped the cooperation with the American party within the Memorandum on prevention of incidents and providing of flight security during the operations in Syria and demands a thorough investigation of the incident by the US Command with further providing of information on its results and the taken measures.

In the combat mission zones of the Russian aviation in the air space of Syria, all kinds of airborne vehicles, including aircraft and UAVs of the international coalition detected to the west of the Euphrates River will be tracked by the Russian SAM systems as air targets.

funny how the USN still uses F-18A models :bang: :bang: :bang:

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by smsgtmac » 23 Jun 2017, 16:58

arian wrote:Don't worry so much about it. No reason to get upset at an article that 3 people in total will read.

I know how this works. Today's clickbait is tomorrow's disinformation cascade. Checked for "F-35 news" earlier today and the,story was a Top 10 due to the wonders of 'Googlebias' it would have been Top 5 except for the other fake news. Skightky more tha three people will glom onto this.
Pretty bad when CNN has the most accurate, least fake headline.
2 outta 3 fake news headlines.jpg

by juretrn » 23 Jun 2017, 17:21

Mac, no need to get upset...
Anyone with a quarter of a functioning brain knows the sample size of 1 missile shot is completely irrelevant to extrapolating hit rates.
Russia stronk

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by smsgtmac » 23 Jun 2017, 20:24

juretrn wrote:Mac, no need to get upset...
Anyone with a quarter of a functioning brain knows the sample size of 1 missile shot is completely irrelevant to extrapolating hit rates.

True about tge functioning brain, unfortunately there is a legion of losers out there making lifr irritating for everyone else in every area. I'm hardly 'upset'. I am however extremely tired of the negative narrative, knowing how it feeds the villanous faux militaty reform operators. And those guys are just the subset of the libtardian fringe who feel their moment in history is slipping away. :D

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by PhillyGuy » 24 Jun 2017, 08:57

How are aircraft from the Bush getting into Syria and so far inland all the way to Raqqa. The most likely flight path would be over Israel and Jordan for a number of reasons, least of which is the Russian presence in Western Syria. Can anyone confirm or add to this? Very impressive that Hornets and Super Hornets have the combat range to fly 350+ miles inland, remain on station/bomb/patrol, and then return back to the carrier. Yes I understand there is tanker support, but still the combat duration/endurance of both aircraft and pilots is impressive, as is the planning and execution. I worry though if there is not a Kilo-class boat shadowing the Bush in the Eastern MED, just in case the US and Russia get into a shooting situation. Submarines really do remain the number 1 threat to carriers, despite all that they bring to bear.

The air ops in Syria really highlight the incredible capability that will come to the carrier fleet with the fielding of LO aircraft like the F-35B and C, and eventually the drone tankers. Unless you're right on top of it, in the future, once the air-wing is airborne off the deck, it is essentially invisible and with very long legs. The enemy will not know where and when it will be hit.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neptune » 24 Jun 2017, 09:20

PhillyGuy wrote:.... Kilo-class boat shadowing the Bush in the Eastern MED, just in case the US and Russia get into a shooting situation. Submarines really do remain the number 1 threat to carriers, despite all that they bring to bear.....

...first off, I'm not "picking on you!", my time of the "night".....

.....and "if" a Kilo "got stupid" do you think their "Virgin" shadow would let them get further than opening their "doors"???,...before they become "lost" to operational issues????....
:)

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by snypa777 » 24 Jun 2017, 13:30

zero-one wrote:It will be a very long time before we get any specifics on what happened and even then the "official story" may have a few twist in it already.

For now, we can agree that all publications about this story have a few common factors.
A Rhino engaged a Su-22 Fitter within 1 mile. 2 missiles were used, an Aim-9 and an Aim-120, the Aim-9 missed the Aim-120 didn't.

The Way I see it, we can keep making baseless excuses for why the Aim-9 missed (faulty hardware, it was just a warning shot, maybe it was an older M model, he had no tone, missile was not armed, etc etc.)

or

we can see that every single pilot is trained to deal with such a circumstance.

In today's network centric battlefield chances of getting to a Merge are slim, and even if you do get to a merge, the existence of advanced HOBS capable missiles will make dog fighting suicidal.
BUT
even if you do get to a merge, even if the wiz bang "game changing missiles" fail, these pilots still know exactly what to do to get the job done.

Cant help thinking, does this mean there`s a wrecked 9 X carcass sitting in a field in Syria for the Russians to pick the bones from?
Another article I saw today suggested the Fitter deployed flares, also, the 9P sidewinder could reject American flares but liked Russian flares according to some.

Lastly, apparently yet another SU-22 tried another bombing run on Tuesday in close proximity to US friendly forces but thought better of it after Hornets nearby persuaded him to go home.
"I may not agree with what you say....but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

PreviousNext