India Taking another Look at the Super Hornet

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post28 Jan 2017, 09:44

The Indian Navy is set to acquire a foreign fighter capable of operating from it's carrier fleet after the Navalized Tejas failed to meet expectations. It's possible this could be tied to the IAF acquisition of single-engine jets. If som SAAB may have an advantage by offering a single platform to serve both services,

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/N ... 105331.ece
http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 784_1.html
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

southernphantom

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post29 Jan 2017, 16:44

Considering that nobody in their right mind would want to order MiG-29s any more, the choices are between the Super Bug and the Rafale. My guess would be the Rafale, as the IAF already ordered three dozen, but Indian procurement is laughably inconsistent, so who really knows what they're going to do?
I'm a mining engineer. How the hell did I wind up here?

mixelflick

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post29 Jan 2017, 17:37

popcorn wrote:The Indian Navy is set to acquire a foreign fighter capable of operating from it's carrier fleet after the Navalized Tejas failed to meet expectations. It's possible this could be tied to the IAF acquisition of single-engine jets. If som SAAB may have an advantage by offering a single platform to serve both services,

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/N ... 105331.ece
http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 784_1.html

Wait, I thought they settled on Mig-29K's?

talkitron

Unread post29 Jan 2017, 23:11

mixelflick wrote:Wait, I thought they settled on Mig-29K's?

The new aircraft being discussed are for carriers yet to be built. They cannot design a carrier without a good idea of the takeoff/landing requirements for the embarked air wing.

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post30 Jan 2017, 00:44

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/indi ... 26657.html

India keen to buy F/A 18 Super Hornet fighter jets for IAF

India had considered F-18 Super Hornet during the earlier hunt for 126 medium multi-role fighter jets. But the US entry lost out to the French Rafale.

Posted by Anand Jayaram
New Delhi,
March 24, 2016

India is keen to consider Boeing's offer to supply F/A-18 Super Hornet fighter jets to the Indian Air Force (IAF).
Sources said that New Delhi will take a hard look at the proposal in April when a high-level delegation will engage the Indian officials on the construct of the offer. US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter will be in India on April 10 in a visit that is expected to take lift cooperation to a new level. Boeing has offered F/A-18 Super Hornets under the "Make in India" framework of the Indian government. Sources said the proposal is worth considering as IAF is facing acute shortage of fighter jets. The IAF has already made it clear that the 36 Rafale fighter jets that are being negotiated with France are inadequate to meet its operational requirement. There is a view emerging in the Indian security establishment that F/A-18 Super Hornets can also negate the sale of F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan by the US. Super Hornet is a carrier based multi-role fighter which can be used by the Indian navy as well. Sources said the aircraft can meet both the IAF and Indian navy's operational requirement. India had considered F-18 Super Hornet during the earlier hunt for 126 medium multi-role fighter jets. But the US entry lost out to the French Rafale.

With the government scrapping the proposed contract which could not be sealed even after prolonged discussions with the French side, it opened doors for other fighter makers to make fresh bids. Defense minister Manohar Parrikar has said the government is working out the best deal with the French. The contract, said to be in the final lap of negotiations is stuck over the price of 36 jets being sought by the French side. Sources said the deal is working out to be worth Rs 60,000 crore.

There is a sense of urgency in acquiring new aircraft as IAF's force levels are depleting due to an ageing fleet. Sources said the "Make in India" proposal of F-18s will solve the problem on the long term basis. Boeing's proposal also involves significant transfer of technology with a substantial indigenous content.

The proposal will also benefit the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft "Tejas" programme which needs to be resurrected after prolonged delays. Sources said the acquisition can be put on fast track considering the urgency. The government has already stressed on going for direct military sale the route which is faster instead of inviting global bids.

:)

delta9991

Unread post30 Jan 2017, 04:57

This could present a way the Super Hornet could get many of its proposed "Smarter ASH" upgrades that Boeing has been pitching since the original iteration was laughed off. India is looking for make at home and the US is keen on strengthening defense ties. Have the IAF partner up with the USN to develop the EDE F414 for an Indian Super (heck, even add Sweden to the mix as the F414 will go on the Gripen NG as well) and share costs for the conformal tanks and new cockpit to boot. With Mattis's report very likely to say exactly what everyone here already knows about the comparison between the Super and F-35, the Navy will probably get the funding it'd need for the upgrades and a partner will only make it that much better for both parties.

XanderCrews

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post30 Jan 2017, 15:47

delta9991 wrote:. With Mattis's report very likely to say exactly what everyone here already knows about the comparison between the Super and F-35, the Navy will probably get the funding it'd need for the upgrades and a partner will only make it that much better for both parties.

I don't think it's going to get the funding, so I guess we differ on opinion there.
Choose Crews

delta9991

Unread post30 Jan 2017, 19:35

XanderCrews wrote: I don't think it's going to get the funding, so I guess we differ on opinion there.

Maybe I should have rephrased how I said that. I think we'll see Mattis come back and say the F-35 is the only suitable aircraft going forward and the Super Hornet is vastly outclassed to the point of needing upgrades to keep up with the curve. India wants a partner, Boeing needs the line open, and Trump wants to shower the money. It's the best chance the ASH has got to see the light of day.

Corsair1963

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post31 Jan 2017, 04:48

delta9991 wrote:
XanderCrews wrote: I don't think it's going to get the funding, so I guess we differ on opinion there.

Maybe I should have rephrased how I said that. I think we'll see Mattis come back and say the F-35 is the only suitable aircraft going forward and the Super Hornet is vastly outclassed to the point of needing upgrades to keep up with the curve. India wants a partner, Boeing needs the line open, and Trump wants to shower the money. It's the best chance the ASH has got to see the light of day.

That is all great for the US and especially Boeing. Yet, the Super Hornet or any 4.5 Generation Fighter for that matter. Won't provide an effective counter to future Chinese Stealth Fighters. Which, are just around the corner....

Honestly, the only viable solution for India and many other nations is in fact the F-35. As without it they will become 2nd rate Air Forces......

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post03 Dec 2017, 02:19

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 884897.cms

RFP for 57 multi-role combat fighter jets likely by mid-2018: Indian Navy

NEW DELHI: Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba today said a request for proposal (RFP) is likely to be issued by mid-2018 for the procurement of 57 multi-role combat fighter jets for the Navy's aircraft carrier.
"Hopefully we will be able to issue the RFP by middle of next year," he said.
Four aircraft manufacturers have shown interest in the project.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post03 Dec 2017, 05:34

popcorn wrote:https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/defence/rfp-for-57-multi-role-combat-fighter-jets-likely-by-mid-2018-indian-navy/articleshow/61884897.cms

RFP for 57 multi-role combat fighter jets likely by mid-2018: Indian Navy

NEW DELHI: Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba today said a request for proposal (RFP) is likely to be issued by mid-2018 for the procurement of 57 multi-role combat fighter jets for the Navy's aircraft carrier.
"Hopefully we will be able to issue the RFP by middle of next year," he said.
Four aircraft manufacturers have shown interest in the project.

....apologies for not keeping up but, is this CATOBAR or ski-jump?

rheonomic

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post03 Dec 2017, 06:41

If I remember correctly they were looking into CATOBAR with EMALS.
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post03 Dec 2017, 07:38

Indigenous Carrier 1 is ski-jump. Indigenous Carrier 2 is purportedly CATOBAR. AFAIK.

You'ld expect the Indians wantng a figjter that could operate off of both. So Rafale and SH would seem to have an edge.
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post03 Dec 2017, 09:45

popcorn wrote:Indigenous Carrier 1 is ski-jump. Indigenous Carrier 2 is purportedly CATOBAR. AFAIK.

You'ld expect the Indians wantng a figjter that could operate off of both. So Rafale and SH would seem to have an edge.

....any guess as to how much fuel and ordinance (MTOW) the SBug can carry for the ski jump C1?

Maybe some insight may come from the Brits with the "Bee" MTOW and the QEs.

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post03 Dec 2017, 10:43

My mistake, apparently Indigenous Aircraft Carriers 1 and 2 are STOBAR and IAC 3 will be CATOBAR.

As for SH launching off from a ramp, Boeing claims the SH will carry fuel and ordnance loads 'relevant' to the Indian Navy's requirements (whhatever that means :D ).
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Military Aircraft