F-117 to be let go from high level storage

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

hythelday

Unread post09 Aug 2018, 18:36

mixelflick wrote:Ah, I see. Thank you.

I guess we can add the SU-27 and Mig-29 to that list as well! I'm sure western intelligence is working overtime on the SU-35. That'd sure be a feather in our caps. I'm curious though... is anyone aware the Russians have been able to procure American jets? I always assumed an F-14 found its way to Russia, but I've never seen anything concrete on that.

I once heard they built replica's of the F-15, 16 etc or at least as close as they could get. That one though, I find a lot more difficult to swallow..

F-5s from Vietnam were flown and evaluated by Soviets in the Union.

Venezuela has some vanilla F-16s, so they were probably checked out by Russian "cultural attache", at the least.

Iranian F-14s (and all other gear, obviously). Not sure they were ever in Soviet hands before '91, and afterwards there was little purpose to examine them in any depth.

Saudi F-15 defected and landed and Sudan, but AFAIK the plane was bought back almost immediately, so definitely no Belenko's Foxbat treatment.

Not admitted officially, but it's a common understanding that Serbs let the Russians check out F-117 debris.
Previous

Return to Modern Military Aircraft