B-21 Raider Thread

Conceptualized class of jet fighter aircraft designs that are expected to enter service in the 2030s.
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by marsavian » 28 Mar 2019, 21:41

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ea-456987/

The US Air Force selected Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota on 27 March as the preferred location to base the first operational Northrop Grumman B-21 Raider bomber and the stealth aircraft’s formal training unit.

After that, Whiteman AFB in Missouri and Dyess AFB in Texas will receive B-21s as they become available, says the service. The USAF says it selected bases using criteria meant to minimise mission impact while transitioning from older bombers, maximise facility reuse, minimise cost and reduce overhead.

“These three bomber bases are well suited for the B-21," says Secretary of the Air Force Heather Wilson. “We expect the first B-21 Raider to be delivered beginning in the mid-2020s, with subsequent deliveries phased across all three bases.”

Ellsworth AFB was selected as the first base because it has enough space and facilities to handle missions at the lowest cost and with minimal operational impact across all three bases, says the USAF.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 28 Mar 2019, 22:14

So the Bone is the first to fall.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 28 Mar 2019, 22:53

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:So the Bone is the first to fall.

Typical. Scrap the most useful first. :doh:
"There I was. . ."

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by tank-top » 11 Apr 2019, 15:27

Announced yesterday, first flight soon.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... light.html

Once it makes its first flight can we get a dedicated page?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 11 Apr 2019, 15:35

Excellent news.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

by crosshairs » 11 Apr 2019, 15:58

tank-top wrote:Announced yesterday, first flight soon.

If it's truly that close to flight, the next milestone is actually high speed ground runs. Very exciting. I wonder how many they are actually in the process of completing.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by F-16ADF » 11 Apr 2019, 16:04

If Joe Biden, Beto, or Bernie become president in 2020 expect things to change if not out right cancellation.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 11 Apr 2019, 16:06

f-16adf wrote:If Joe Biden, Beto, or Bernie become president in 2020 expect things to change if not out right cancellation.

If any of those idiots win we'll have WAY bigger problems than a cancelled bomber.
"There I was. . ."

by blain » 11 Apr 2019, 21:25

crosshairs wrote:
tank-top wrote:Announced yesterday, first flight soon.

If it's truly that close to flight, the next milestone is actually high speed ground runs. Very exciting. I wonder how many they are actually in the process of completing.

How soon is soon? The CDR was at the end of last year. I believe the B-2's roll out was two years after the CDR. But that doesn't mean they could not have begun assembly before it was completed. It is supposedly on a faster track so but reading the tea leaves it seems there has been a lot of activity lately which would point to the program making significant progress.

It was announced that testing would be conducted at Edwards. Ok, we kind of knew that already but why did they announce that now? Depot maintenance would be done at Tinker. Then the announcement that Ellsworth was selected as its first base. Could we see something by the end of this year?

The aircraft resembles NG's original B-2 design as a high altitude, low observable, penetrator so it is not as much as a risk as the B-2. But it is still a new design.

To a great extent, the B-21 will be a game changer if it can be purchased in numbers. It compensates for the Navy's short fall in long range penetrating strike aircraft.

I'm curious as to the following:
1. Size - it is supposedly slightly smaller than the B-2. Related - how much smaller is the payload and does it have 1 weapons bay or two? You would think that the weapons bay would need to accommodate at least 1 GBU-57. If that is a requirement then there may only be enough room for one weapons bay. That is not much of a payload if you assume that a rotary launcher carries 8 GBU-31s. Though it could carry many more GBU-38s and Storm Breakers.

2. Engines - Pratt and Whitney is the engine manufacturer. Is it a non after burning derivative of the F135 or a different design? If they are intent on reducing the number of engines to 2 you would likely need to produce more dry thrust. GE was able to get more thrust out of the F110 in order to develop the F118 so its possible.

3. Performance - flying at higher altitude with only two engines will help with range, but I wonder if its cruising speed will be similar to the B-2?

4. ISR capability - the B-21 is not going to loiter in near or in the enemy's battle space but I would think it will have a similar capability to the F-35 in terms of being able to identify, analyze, and counter threats.

by blain » 11 Apr 2019, 21:27

sferrin wrote:
f-16adf wrote:If Joe Biden, Beto, or Bernie become president in 2020 expect things to change if not out right cancellation.

If any of those idiots win we'll have WAY bigger problems than a cancelled bomber.

The biggest problem with Biden is that he will ruin the stealth coating by trying to grope and stiff it.

by crosshairs » 12 Apr 2019, 01:41

Very unlikely ADF.

Even Obama was in favor of updating the nuclear triad. At least he allocated funds.

When the b2 was terminated, the cold war was over, china was not a serious threat, and we had bones and buffs with decades of life left in them, plus we had agm129 to compensate for not having a stealth bomber.

Now, things are worse. China and Russia are developing stealth bombers. Bones and buffs are worn out and not credible systems to use as penetrators.

It isn't 1994 again.

Likely we would get a usable number as a deterrent , but no more.

Even if Trump wins 2020, a republican in 2024 is not a guarantee of 140 raiders. Look was Bush did to the raptor. Bush senior also made some dubious decisions.

People that visit these forums are in the minority.

What worries me more than the raider is PCA/NGAD and the new icbm. Columbia seems to be moving along nicely all things considered. Large numbers of stealth bombers are great a deterrent to a major war, but we keep getting into skirmishes and the fighter force needs recapitalization - not just the f35.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by F-16ADF » 12 Apr 2019, 02:02

It was Obama and his DS Gates who did in the Raptor. Bush 43, Cheney, Rummy, Adelman, Bolton were the ones interested in making every Muslim dictatorship a Western style democracy. Which was a dumb mistake.

I'd bet my house and my shorts that if a dem is elected Pres in 2020 this fantasy bomber, PCA, and the like will be the first to go. And expect F-35 production to be cut somewhat. I highly doubt I'm wrong.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 12 Apr 2019, 12:34

crosshairs wrote:

Very unlikely ADF.

Even Obama was in favor of updating the nuclear triad. At least he allocated funds.

Window dressing.

https://www.heritage.org/defense/report ... ons-policy
"There I was. . ."

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by afjag » 12 Apr 2019, 15:59

sferrin wrote:
crosshairs wrote:

Very unlikely ADF.

Window dressing.

https://www.heritage.org/defense/report ... ons-policy

As if the Heritage Foundation is an objective and impartial entity. :roll: Needless to say, it is a remarkable oversimplification to blame bad defense policy decisions solely on a single specific politician.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by tank-top » 12 Apr 2019, 21:04

f-16adf wrote:It was Obama and his DS Gates who did in the Raptor. Bush 43, Cheney, Rummy, Adelman, Bolton were the ones interested in making every Muslim dictatorship a Western style democracy. Which was a dumb mistake.

I'd bet my house and my shorts that if a dem is elected Pres in 2020 this fantasy bomber, PCA, and the like will be the first to go. And expect F-35 production to be cut somewhat. I highly doubt I'm wrong.

I’ll bet my undershirt Barr slow plays the FBI/DOJ investigation right through 2020. I’m not too worried about anyone the Dem’s can put on the ballot. Plus the Dem’s just tried to shoot Biden, their best hope.

PreviousNext